Friday, December 14, 2012

Products To Be Reviewed




Below is a list of products I would like to review soon. I plan to e-mail off a few companies every day. It takes about two minutes per company to e-mail.  You just go to the company's web site and click on the "Contact Us" link.  It takes between a few hours to a couple of weeks to hear back from companies usually. I have never not gotten a response.

 





If anyone would like to help me out and e-mail some of these companies, feel free! Just leave a comment so that I know that you have already contacted them so that I don't. Be sure to e-mail me their response along with the original e-mail you sent them if possible. My e-mail is sheridavis27@comcast.net.  Sometimes you have to e-mail them using their online comment box and you won't have your original e-mail. That's OK.

 
I'm also having my 12-year old son help me out with these so it's not hard to do!


Here is a sample e-mail I might send a company. I put in the subject line, "Allergy Info."


Hi. Our family does the Feingold Diet and we avoid additives like artificial colors, artificial flavors and the preservatives TBHQ, BHT, and BHA, either in the ingredient itself or in the packaging. Could you please advise as to whether your product contains these? I would also like to be advised if any other ingredients within your product that might be outsourced contain any of these additives. Thank you!


I usually tailor it to the product.  If I see a product that seems like it does not have any artificial colors or flavors in it, I may just ask if they have any preservatives in their product and see what their response is. I did that with the Skinny Pop popcorn and they responded also with "No artificial anything!" The bag also stated this so I didn't feel like I needed to ask them if it contained any artificials.

Also, if the product is bread or a bakery item (like cupcakes, cake, etc.), or a pizza restaurant, I will also ask them if they use any spray on their pans that include the preservatives BHT, BHA, or TBHQ.  This is pretty common practice. 

If a product contains vitamin A Palmitate I also ask if these preservatives are hidden in there.  Vitamin A Palmitate is often found in milks and other items. Sometimes the vitamin A Palmitate is preserved with BHT and sometimes it is not.  The only way to know is to ask the manufacturer. 

If I think a product might have corn syrup, I might ask about this on my reply to them after they've answered my other question. Definitely ask about corn syrup in any form.  There are lots of names for corn syrup.  If you throw too many questions at them at once, it's easier for them to ignore one of your questions. And, if they've already answered your first question, chances are they'll answer your second question right away.

You always run the risk that a company may not be honest with you or you get someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about, but I figure we have to at least try.
 

Current List of Products To Be Reviewed


 

I will update this list periodically.  As products are reviewed, I will take them off  this list and do a post on it.  If you know of a product that you would like reviewed, leave a comment.  I’m going to start with products that we like and eat so it will contain some GFCF products as well.


JIF Natural peanut butter (This claims to be all natural.  Let’s find out!)

Skippy Natural peanut butter

Sierra Mist Natural

Papa John’s Pizza

Pizza Hut Pizza

Chipotle

Subway

Back to Nature products (we like the Wheat Thins and Cheddar Nibs)

Natural By Nature products (we like the pop tarts but they do contain corn syrup and we like the breakfast bars)

Glenny’s Brown Rice Marshmallow Treats

Rice Works Salsa Fresca Rice Crisps by Shearer’s (I'm thinking these won't be clean)

Jones’ All Natural Sausage (these are from Costco)

Food for Life Brown Rice Bread (this is gluten free)

Items we love from the Whole Foods bakery (various)

Trader Joe’s products (we like the Snack-O’s – they’re like Funyons, and their hash browns)

Rudi’s Original Gluten Free Bread

Xochitl Corn Chips

Glutino Gluten Free Crackers

Natural By Nature Whip Cream

Enjoy Life Sugar Cookie Crisps

Enjoy Life Chocolate Chip Cookie Crisps

Soyatoo Rice Whip Cream
 




1 comment:

  1. Not sure when this was last updated, but there are several things in that picture that are approved. The Natural by Nature whipped topping was in the book when we first started 5 years ago--I assume it still is, although we don't buy it now since my DS is dairy free. Nature's Path has a plethora of approved products. I cannot see which particular bars those are, but I am willing to be they are ok. Soyatoo is approved, as are Jones sausage. I think most Enjoy life products are approved-if not, likely due to lack of submission. Rudi's is likely the same way--they have many approved, although I think St 2.

    ReplyDelete